Friday, November 6, 2009

Hope

Recently, there's been a lot of bad news.

- a 14 year old boy from Mendota molested then drowned a 4 year old neighbor boy and put the body in the dryer afterwards.

- the killing rampage on servicemen in Fort Hood, Texas

- rising apathy towards sex and life and death

and for myself, walking around the campus of mclane this morning on my prep, with the sun shining, I just had one thought:

We are here to provide hope. We are here to love people not because of what they do, but despite what they do. Being a coach and teacher who pretty much spends all of my waking hours with kids and communicating about kids after school, it's easy for me to get wrapped up in setting my worth with 'how' the students are doing. To tie my performance to theirs.

It is important how they do, but that's not the point! :-) For myself at least, I was reminded to keep trying and not to give up on kids no matter how many times they 'let me down' because it's not about me! For many kids, that 'third time' was the time that stuck, and now they're succeeding.

Have a great, restful weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Love this Brandon! You're so positive and have a great outlook!

    ReplyDelete