Sunday, April 12, 2009

New Blog, More Focus

Tri This! is the new name of the triathlon team I, Brandon Dorman, created more than two years ago in the heart of Fresno.

The team and concept have grown from, "hey, let's do a triathlon because it's something challenging," to something that others are taking notice of. Not just because it's a cool thing to get kids from diverse and challenging backgrounds to do triathlons - a decidedly different kind of experience than what they're used to - but because of the scope of programs and type of focus we have.

- Grades generally go up
- Kids gain new experiences of life outside the inner city
- Stereotypes are broken, and people are given hope on both sides
- Quotes like this:

"Not only was it a new experience, but it was new people. Being able to do the triathlon, I believe, is all thanks to my team. I was on the swim team for three years 250 miles away and moved to Fresno in April. These people accepted me. When I finished my first half mile for the swim I was running up the hill to tag my partner and saw all the faces of people who believed in me and it felt great. My goal is to inspire and believe in someone else, so that they get that same feeling."


and:

"Training helps me with my school work and keep me focused on not returning to my bad ways. I am now going to class and get A’s and B’s in school. Because of Coach Dorman, I am also thinking about going to college now. “

In 2009 we left Fresno PAL to closer pursue our triathlon related goals. We are planning a fundraiser event (aquathlon) in May to raise both awareness and funds, and bring more events to the area. We just hosted our first Kids Triathlon Camp.


Thanks to donations from local business, the kids are starting to look like real cyclists!


So this blog will be strictly about the process of building a high school triathlon team - with a hopeful following of current supporters as well as others interested in starting a triathlon club in their town/school. Thanks.


-brandon dorman

USAT Certified Coach

http://www.tri-this.org

1 comment: