Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Hydration

For the past three days - and foreseeable days ahead - the temperature has been over 100 degrees here in Fresno. I've been doing a lot of work lately at a group home where I worked before teaching and the kids are in awe of the 'triathlon stuff' I do. So much so that I take them bike riding I overheard comments between them like, "I bet if you tried to take off on this thing Mr. Dorman would catch you in 2 seconds..." which while it maybe true, was funny nonetheless.

So as I've been taking bikes out to the Ranch as well as go swimming with them, the issue of hydration has taken center stage. Yesterday I went with a kid without drinking beforehand and we were both parched upon coming back from six miles of riding at 2pm.

This morning I went out there again and the kid had drunk quite a bit of water and eaten oatmeal too... we rode more than 12 miles total and he agreed he felt fine today.

For me, the best way to avoid dehydration is to drink about 2 hours and 1 hour before working out. What we drink while we work out won't be processed really anyway... and of course keep drinking afterwards! I like to make sure I go to the bathroom before I work out too ESPECIALLY running.

On thursday myself and a few others will hold a mock 'triathlon' for the boys out at the group home. All contained within ranch property, it will be a one mile run, then a six mile bike, finishing off with some laps in their small pool. Sure it's a reverse tri, but we figured by starting at nine and then finishing with the swim it'd feel good :-) I'll bring old bib numbers for them to wear and take their times -including transition - too. Should be a lot of fun. For legal reasons (most of the boys are there because they've committed felonies...) I can't show pictures but hopefully will make it a great experience for the boys! The plan has always been to try and include these guys in Tri-This! experiences but scheduling is very difficult and has to be considered that there are about 7 county Probation Offices to contend with too...

Drink up!

No comments:

Post a Comment